Almost every day we hear from our customers phrases like this: “I do not know what leech I need to buy , maybe small, maybe average, or maybe the largest”.
So, for “beginner hirudotherapists” before placing an order, it is very important to determine the size (weight) and the amount of medicinal leeches .
The Lviv Biofactory grows and sells leeches in the range of 0.1 to 4 grams.
Size 1 Leeches in weight 0.1 to 0.4 grams are called cosmetic and used for the purpose of cosmetology of the face, the area of the neckline, and hands. Leeches of this weight are also used in gynecology when placed on the mucous membranes in the vagina.
Size 1а Leeches in weight 0.01-0.1 grams for cosmetology in the central area of the face, on request
Size 2 Leeches in weight 0.5 to 1.0 grams, they are called average Small and are used for therapeutic purposes on the face, neck, body with a small weight of the patient up to 70 kg, in pediatrics, for the first course of treatment at home
Size 2а Leeches in weight 0,5-0,7gram – in pediatrics, the patient’s weight is up to 40 kg, and with the therapeutic purpose on the areas of the head, neck
Size 2b Leeches in weight 0.7-1.0 grams for the first course of treatment at home (according to the scheme of purification, but on the area of the “liver” leeches should be of greater weight)
Size 3 Leeches in weight 1.0 to 4.0 grams medium and large. Used for the purpose of hirudotherapy under supervision or with the participation of medical staff, in the treatment of a patient weighing above 80 kg, in the attachment of leeches on the purifying organs (liver, kidneys, small intestine).
Size 3a Leech in weight 1,0-1,5 classic average. Used most often by hirudotherapists.
Size 3b Leeches in weight 0,9-1,2 average Used most often by beginner hirudotherapists
Size 3c Leeches in weight 2.0-3.0 grams. Used more often by hirudotherapists that treat the problems of the spine, injuries of the musculoskeletal system. Also, in the treatment of patients with a high weight, usually men. At home, without a medical aid, a leech of such weight is unsafe because of the risk of high blood loss.
Size 3d Leeches of weight 3,5 to 4 grams are very rarely used by hirudotherapists.
So, if you decide to be treated with medicinal leeches, then it is important for you to act like this:
- Buy a book on hirudotherapy with the schemes of attaching leeches on a human body, with color photos of hirudosessions, a description of the reaction after attaching leeches, and so on. Information on the Internet is not complete, and not always reliable.
- If you have a chance to visit a hirudocabinet in your city, get a consultation and at least one session of treatment with leeches
- Remember! Hirudotherapy and medical treatment cannot always be done simultaneously! As for example blood-thinning drugs! In this case, you need to consult a doctor-hirudotherapist or your attending physician.
- Before and after the treatment, we recommend submitting blood to a general analysis, measuring pressure and pulse before and after the treatment, measure the level of sugar for diabetics
- If there is no evidence against the treatment with leeches, count the number of sessions and the number and size of leeches for each procedure.Summarize.
For example: Patient Oksana Petrivna, age 40, weight 60kg, varicose disease, decided to be treated with leeches at home. Bought a book, did not find any evidence of contraindications, got acquainted with the treatment scheme. The first course of treatment was chosen to “cleanse the body”. Attaching leeches on the cleansing organs is planned: on the area of the “liver” 2 sessions of 5 leeches weighing 1-1.5 grams, the area of the small intestine 2 sessions of 5 leeches weighing 1-1.5 grams, the area of the large intestine – 6 leeches weighing 0,9-1,2 grams, kidney area – 6 leeches weighing 0,7-1,0 grams, on the area “above the coccyx” 2 sessions of 6 leeches weighing 0,7- 1.5 grams. As a result, Ms Oksana ordered: 18 leeches weighing 0.7-1.0 grams, 6 leeches weighing 0.9-1.2 grams, 20 leeches weighing 1-1.5 grams.